A growing enterprise needs a solution that goes beyond simply managing ‘content’, it is equally important for the stakeholders to have access to the precise version of the desired document when needed. That’s why the need for Enterprise Content Management solutions is evident and more relevant than ever today.
Content usually refers to the different types of files which are mostly unstructured – files that can later be categorized as documents, emails, videos, spreadsheets, text messages and more. This content is important since it facilitates collaboration between employees, helps in the overall business operations while focusing on business processes and streamlining workflows. When it is well managed, it translates into the business bottom-line as improved operational efficiency with added scope of innovation.
However, when this content is not structured and meticulously organized, simply put, not managed well, it cannot be tracked. An ECM solution gives the Enterprise the right set of tools with the functionality of accessing a centralized knowledge repository making content management easier. Your enterprise content management platform must be future-ready, which means it should be flexible and scalable while facilitating smooth integrations with other efficient tools and technologies.
All these reasons and more make Microsoft SharePoint the leading choice as a comprehensive Enterprise Content Management platform. Microsoft SharePoint is integrated with a set of familiar and convenient productivity tools including Ms Office and Office 365, which lets users to store, sync and share the files across.
Going beyond the obvious…
SharePoint isn’t just an ECM platform. It is also a leading web and application framework from Microsoft. In addition, it is an overall approach to enterprise content management across the organization. It has several excellent functionalities. For starters, SharePoint is a blank slate and when implemented wisely in line with your business needs, it can make wonders happen with scalability for your business.
Additionally, SharePoint can let you:
- Build Interactive and Engaging Responsive Multi-lingual Websites
- Integrate existing projects across the Microsoft ecosystem with SharePoint
- Streamline Business Processes and Workflows using SharePoint processes and SharePoint Workflows
- Generate reports on-the-go about your metadata related to processes and employees using SharePoint Business Intelligence
- Monitor performance, processes, manage compliances and eliminate bottlenecks using Customized Dashboards
- Centralize Knowledge Repository with secure access using SharePoint Intranet
- Manage and Deliver Multi-media using the Digital Assets Library
SharePoint also helps the Enterprise seamlessly exceed the performance benchmarks leveraging these robust features that reduce the complexity of content management:
SharePoint allows enterprises to centrally manage a wide variety of content in the central repository. This content can be searched, accessed and shared based on permissions. Users can edit the document properties directly within the document itself.
Permissions defined based on the employee roles let the Enterprise have control over the confidentiality of sensitive internal information. Moreover, built-in workflows allow users to collaborate on documents right from their desktops as the content is well structured.
Content can be structured with ease as it can be globally managed by creating term sets and groups. Specific content categories can be created, and settings can be configured. This can later be automatically applied to content in that specific category significantly reducing time.
Digital Media Management
SharePoint comes integrated with functionality to play and manage digital media content – video and audio. It lets users directly play the media content from the portal, community site, publishing site or the team group. In addition, optimized digital media asset libraries have convenient features including metadata, content categories and unique ID with thumbnails and automatic preview play features.
Record management capabilities within SharePoint allow Enterprises store and protect sensitive business records based on the management policies. Secure storage and retention of business records takes away the hassle of storing, preserving and locking important records. It also allows Enterprises to be easily compliant to existing legal and regulatory policies through careful implementation of such policies within the framework itself. In addition, it keeps audit trails of storage and retention intact as proof of integrity to auditors.
Web Content Management
SharePoint lets you easily create and publish timely trending content using familiar tools. It also makes it easier to maintain branding consistency throughout your website. The approval process gets quicker as you can easily create approved master pages and layouts which once specified can be reused by content authors. Since, you get to implement a single multi-tier infrastructure for publishing content everywhere including the Intranet, Extranet and other websites on the Internet, the cost of deployment and management for your websites reduces significantly.
The thorough implementation of SharePoint across the legacy framework of the Enterprise has several benefits such as:
- Controlling and Tracking all Enterprise InformationIt can get overwhelming to manage huge volume of critical information. That’s why the need to organize and structure data with ease of access is crucial. When all your documents are stored in a centralized repository in a way that can be easily searched, all your documents can be easily tracked, and their trail can be controlled and managed effectively for added security and convenience. It also allows users to configure alerts so you can track important contracts with stakeholders.
- Improving Operational EfficiencyIn the discovery and design phase, a careful analysis of your Enterprise’s strategic approach, needs and objectives is carried out. Your SharePoint implementation is accordingly carried out addressing those challenges and inefficiencies. The end-output after a thorough implementation saves you time, eliminates bottlenecks and streamlines operations.
- Increasing ProductivitySharePoint lets you structure, organize and securely access documents. Since users can access documents by extension, much time is saved which can further be reallocated to critical tasks. This leads to increased productivity throughout the enterprise.
- Mitigating RisksThrough meticulous implementation of business and regulatory policies, SharePoint can enforce security policies throughout the enterprise over the Intranet. You can retain control over final versions of critical documents through timestamps. Additional processes like reporting and auditing can also be automated mitigating risks and easing compliances.
SharePoint is the one-stop-solution for Enterprise-wide content management and collaboration. It can spell success for Enterprises experiencing bottlenecks due to inadequate content management.
For instance, a leading Swedish media broadcaster faced challenges with internal and external collaborations. Their legacy information systems and resource sharing failed when it came to be fast, flexible and scalable. They had worldwide locations across multiple systems and so they needed a customized content management system that could address the issues of scalability while being fast, efficient and standardized throughout their global offices.
Cygnet Infotech carefully understood their challenges, requirements, strategic approach and long-term focus. The team then developed a SharePoint solution that provides the ability to compile and coordinate in real-time with Active Directory-based integration. Additionally, the solution provides Staff directory search for locating user by country, company, office, departments across the various locations. The end result was a collaborative environment that aids as a single platform for providing collaboration and information sharing based on Microsoft Office SharePoint.
SharePoint implementation within your Enterprise will have far-reaching positive effects on the performance and scalability of your business. Streamlined processes, workflows, operations and centralized compliant document management will enable multiple internal departments to maintain their autonomy while enforcing security policies.
Easier integration across the wide spectrum of Microsoft Tools and Technology get you added productivity. Your business bottom-line can reap the rewards of increased returns while reducing bottlenecks and the ability to track inefficiencies.